How does the Knee joint work?
Find out more in this web based movie.
Arthroscopy is a surgical procedure in which an arthroscope is inserted into a joint. Arthroscopy is a term that comes from two Greek words, arthro-, meaning joint, and -skopein, meaning to examine.
The benefits of arthroscopy involve smaller incisions, faster healing, a more rapid recovery, and less scarring. Arthroscopic surgical procedures are often performed on an outpatient basis and the patient is able to return home on the same day.
Find out more about Knee Arthroscopy from the following links.
Anterior Cruciate Ligament ACL Reconstruction
The anterior cruciate ligament is one of the major stabilizing ligaments in the knee. It is a strong rope like structure located in the centre of the knee running from the femur to the tibia. When this ligament tears unfortunately it doesn’t heal and often leads to the feeling of instability in the knee.
ACL reconstruction is a commonly performed surgical procedure and with recent advances in arthroscopic surgery can now be performed with minimal incisions and low complication rates.
ACL Reconstruction Patellar Tendon
Please use the links below to get more information from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
Broken Bones and Injury
- Femur (Thighbone) Fractures in Adults
- Femur (Thighbone) Fractures in Children
- Growth Plate Fractures
- Proximal Tibia Fractures
- Shinbone (Tibia) Fractures
- Stress Fractures
Tears and Instability
- Kneecap, Unstable
- Ligament Injuries of the Knee
- Meniscus, Tears of
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament, Tears of
Diseases and Syndromes
- Bowed Legs
- Bursitis of the Knee: Goosefoot (Pes Anserine)
- Bursitis of the Knee: Kneecap (Prepatellar)
- Limb Length Discrepency
- Osteonecrosis of the Knee
- Arthritis of the Knee
- Osteoarthritis of Knee — Social Impact
- Osteoarthritis of the Knee – Frequently Asked Questions
- Burning Thigh Pain (Meralgia paresthetica)
- Compartment Syndrome
- Knee Pain, Adolescent Anterior
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease (Knee Pain)
- Runner’s Knee (Patellofemoral Pain)
Treatment and Rehabilitation
- Care of Casts and Splints
- How to use Crutches, Canes, and Walkers
- Viscosupplementation in Osteoarthritis of the Knee
Arthroscopy and Reconstruction